The Global Rule of Law Exchange (of The Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law) is hosting a conference on 2nd May 2018 at Jones Day in London (21 Tudor Street, EC4Y0DJ). Registration for the event will open at 8:30, with the conference itself starting at 9:00 and finishing at 18:00. A reception is to be held afterwards. Although the event is free to attend, advance registration is still required.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development encompass a wide range of ambitious objectives, from ending poverty, to improving global health, providing education for all, and mitigating climate change. The private sector role in achieving these goals is widely understood; however, it is often viewed as consisting exclusively of financing development initiatives, generating economic growth, job creation, or tax revenue.
SDG 16, relating to peace, justice and strong institutions, presents a set of issues of particular salience to the private sector, including a number of factors that directly foster stable business environments. This conference will consider various questions arising from the intersection of business and SDG 16, including:
• Why should the business community engage to advance SDG 16’s themes of peace, justice and strong institutions?
• In what ways might the SDGs generally, and SDG 16 in particular, be “good for business”?
• What is the business community’s role in advancing SDG 16? What tools and instruments can help the private sector work to advance the Goal? How can the private sector engage with other stakeholders, including government, in advancing SDG 16?
• What are actions, both internal and external, that business can take to concretely advance SDG 16?
• Does commitment to SDG16 conflict with or complement other compliance and reporting requirements, including on human rights?
• How and where should the private sector deploy its resources in an effective way to meet these various obligations?
Featured speakers at the event will include:
Esteban Mezzano (General Counsel Zone Americas & Legal in Sustainability & CSV Nestlé) David Croft (Global Sustainability Director, Diageo, Helen Dodds, Global Head, Legal, Dispute Resolution, Standard Chartered Bank) Nicola Port (Senior Vice President, International Counsel at Chubb), Richard Morgan (Head of Government Relations, Anglo American), Alejandro Alvarez (Chief, Rule of Law Unit, Executive Office of UN Secretary-General).
The Keynote speakers will be Manoelle Lepoutre (Senior Vice President, Civil and Society Engagement, Total) and Harriett Baldwin MP (Minister of State for Africa at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and Minister of State for International Development).
Representatives from Safaricom, Sahara Group and other distinguished speakers/thought leaders from the policy worlds (UNGC, OECD, Pathfinders Programme, etc) will also be in attendance.
Click below to read the event flyer:
And click the following link to book a ticket and to visit the official webpage for the conference:
Image source: twitter.com/biicl
Text source: www.biicl.org
Tagged as: ARC, ARC Project, BIICL, Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law, British Institute for International and Comparative Law, Jones Day, justice, law, law news, London, news, Sustainable Development Goals, The Global Rule of Law Exchange, Upcoming Events